We have launched our new Barnardos National Parent Supportline which is available to any parent or family who needs support. We would appreciate you passing this information on to families you are working with – or if you would like to share a link on your website or social media the information it is available at www.barnardos.ie/supportline
Parents can talk directly to one of our qualified staff who will offer them practical support and guidance in their role as parents during the Covid-19 crisis.
Barnardos provides practical and emotional supports to children and parents in its 41 centres, in families’ own homes, through the school environment, and within communities across Ireland. Last year we worked with over 20,000 children, young people and their families.
The government’s response to Covid-19 has meant that normal routines and sources of support are currently unavailable to many families. Through our dedicated telephone supportline Barnardos staff can provide support and advice to parents on the following issues:
- How to talk to your children about the corona virus
- Setting a good routine
- Managing children’s behaviours and sibling dynamics
- Managing aggression and family discord
- Home schooling/managing school expectations.
- Fostering natural learning opportunities in the home
- Healthy eating
- Accessing fun and educational activities for families and individual children
- Managing your child’s worries
- Self-care for parents
- Helping parents manage their own worries and anxieties
- Managing children’s online activity
Barnardos also provides specialist services and support in relation to bereavement, adoption and fostering.